Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Being Motivated

I wrote about feeling unmotivated then getting motivated and now I am actually being motivated!

Yes, I am back on the writing wagon but it is very shaky and I'm on a rather bumpy path. The thing with writing, like many things we do, is that when you don't do it for a while you get rusty. You get out of shape. And it is so much harder to start up again when you are out of practice.

I realized in the last couple of days that my summer is almost over (marked by my husband coming back from his internship in another state) and I haven't accomplished hardly anything on my list of things to do while he was gone. One of those was to start writing regularly again.

So I pulled out my NanoWrimo project from last year thinking I would just glance through it and see if there was anything worth salvaging. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! It needs some serious work, but I surprised myself in several instances with plot twists, character development, and witty dialogue. So I have dusted it off and I am committed to wrestling it into submission. Part of the reason I still want to work on it is because the basic premise I started with is very dear to my heart and I am committed to making that work. I have a foundation I built on and I am not going to give up on that. The final structure may very well turn out completely different from what I first imagined, but I want to have a house at the end no matter what.

Have you had this experience? What draws you into a WIP (work in progress) and keeps you committed to it even when you get discouraged?

No comments: