Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tim Powers: The Anubis Gates


So I actually read this over a month ago and just haven't written about my experience yet. However, I'm glad that I waited a while because I've had a chance to think more about the book and decide how I felt about it. When I finished reading The Anubis Gates I wasn't quite sure if I sort of liked it or if it was a book I could recommend with confidence. It was strange and exciting and it went places I never would have guessed. I think this might be why I was questioning, but now I can safely say that you should definitely read this book.

I love the idea of time travel and I have always enjoyed books that centered on this theme. I am intrigued by all the cause and effect and the conflict between fate/destiny and our choices. The Anubis Gates starts with traveling through time and deals with all of the associated complications. Add a little magic and it makes for a very entertaining read.

Now I also have to point out that Tim Powers is a great writer, too, which really helped me decide how much I like this one. It's entertaining but it's also thoughtful which you don't always get with good action books these days. Plus, there are some very interesting and dangerous characters.

There were a couple of parts where I felt like it moved kind of slowly and it took me a few more pages to actually get into it than I would have liked. There is also some violence that adds to the evil characters nicely but I know sometimes I am adverse to. But by the end I was glad I picked this one up at the library.

Overall, I feel I must urge you to go get this book.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I read this a couple of years ago and really liked it also. If you like Anubis Gates you should try

"Three Days to Never" by Powers also.