Friday, April 10, 2009

Inkheart

I will be the first to admit that Brendan Fraser isn't the best actor out there, but I also think he's fun to watch on screen. I knew I wasn't going to get to see this movie for a while after it came out due to my husband's tastes, but he took me to see it when it went to the cheaper theater. He was not impressed, no surprise there, but I enjoyed it enough that I will probably watch it again.

This is the first time I have felt that I liked a movie on principle. Inkheart is about the power of the written word, books, and reading. How could I not like it? It really is a lovely story and if I can ever find a copy of the original book by Cornelia Funke at the library I will definitely pick it up. I wish they would have done more with the movie, though, because I think it could have been better.

Brendan Fraser is just who he is and usually plays very similar characters, so I'll just brush over that part. Paul Bettany plays a wonderful character that was probably my favorite, and he is an actor I always enjoy watching. Andy Serkis plays the villain and he is an awesome opponent so no complaints there.

I loved the story and some of the characters were great, too. And while I enjoyed the movie, I left it feeling like there should have been more. Maybe it was the ending; the climax was a big fight at the end, as expected, and the good guys won, but it wasn't satisfying enough. Also, most of the movie took place in one setting. They started out there, moved on, but then went back and I think this gave me a feeling that the characters weren't progressing so much as running in circles.

So, in the end, I would advise you to see this movie only if you love stories as much as I do and can tolerate Fraser (which I can). But I would love to hear your opinion of the movie, so rent it and then let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Bahnree said...

I had basically the same opinion as you, only I think I liked Fraser more because he doesn't annoy me in general. Also, his voice is perfect for Mo. The book of course is better, and also has a better ending in my opinion: it's not quite so tacked-on and leaves it open for the sequel. I agree about the characters running in circles, too: that was the only thing that really annoyed me about the book, and was worse in the movie.

Unknown said...

As always, the book knocks the movie out of the water.

And if you're looking for something new to read, I have a series in mind for you.