Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fannie Flagg: A Redbird Christmas

We read this for my new book club for the holiday season. I hadn't read anything by this author before but I had heard she was pretty good so I was looking forward to reading this one. I read it in one day, not because it was necessarily a page-turner but because I had the time. In fact, I'm glad I read it in one day because I think I might have had trouble coming back to it later if things got busy. Still, it was a good little Christmas read.

Oswald is an older gentleman who has just learned that he only has a few more months to live unless he moves to warmer climates. So he finds a quaint little southern town on the Gulf to spend Christmas. He finds a small community of people with big hearts and a special redbird.

It's a short book and, as expected, just a little cheesy in parts. But I liked it nonetheless - I think I even cried at one point. The characters are fun but only a couple of them are fully developed enough that I could picture them in my mind. Granted, in a short and light book like this there isn't a lot of time to spend on character development. The only complaint I have is that the point of view often changed without defined breaks so I occasionally got lost as to who was talking or thinking what. But with a little concentration that was easily fixed.

In the end, I recommend this one if you want a quick, light, and uplifting holiday book.

No comments: