Thursday, September 20, 2007

Agreed: Potter Really is Hotter

A little while ago I wrote a post about how the world seemed to have gone wild for Harry Potter. Then Juberry posted a response about why Potter has been such a raging success. Now having actually read the final installment, I have to agree that Rowling has accomplished some pretty amazing things here.

The seventh and final volume of Harry Potter neatly wraps up all the mysteries and answers all the questions readers have been asking over the years. As I finished the book I felt satisfied with the ending, which is not something I can say for the conclusion of all novels, especially ones that close a long drawn out series.

I was surprised that Rowling started the action off so soon, but I was immediately hooked. She really has demonstrated the power of the literary hook, as Juberry pointed out. I found it difficult to put the book down, which made for a fun read. I would love to write a book like that where the reader just can't wait to find out what happens next. Readers are so involved in the book because they are so involved and attached to the characters. After 6 books, I was anxious to see how Harry would finally conquer Voldemort, curious to find out the details of Dumbledore's death, and excited to know what happened in the end. Rowling delivered on all fronts.

Many argue that Rowling's success is a result of marketing and hype created by her publishers. My argument - even with all the publicity, Harry Potter wouldn't be such a success if the books weren't written well.

Potter is Hotter - I might as well just accept it and stop being jealous.

No comments: