Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Write Time

Starting is the hardest part. When I've finished a project and it's time to start a new one, I start working on my procrastination skills again (as if they weren't perfected already). Starting something new is scary because it's, well, new. Even if you've already written your first novel, starting a new one is still scary. I'm stepping into the unknown and all my insecurities and doubts suddenly launch their well laid attack. So, I put it off for a few days, I read, I hope for inspiration, and the whole time I wish that I were writing.

The best advice I've gotten, taken, and given on how to get yourself to start writing is this:

Just start writing.

Not very profound or poetic, I know, but it works. So, here's something to help us all overcome out doubts and let our procrastination skills get rusty: a prompt. Open your word processor on your computer or get a pen and paper, which ever you prefer, and put down whatever comes to your mind when you read this. Turn off your inner editor - don't worry about spelling or punctuation or grammar - just write for 5 or 10 minutes. It will help - I promise.

A child comes up to you on the street and says "Come quick." You go and find... what?

So how did it go? What did your imagination discover?

No comments: