Monday, May 21, 2007

Zora Neale Hurston: Their Eyes Were Watching God

This book is often included on the curriculum for High School required reading, but somehow I missed reading it earlier in my life. Juberry recommended I read it and I finally got around to picking it off my bookshelf. I really wish I had picked it up sooner - this is a beautiful book.

When Juberry told me about Their Eyes Were Watching God all she could say was that "it is so RICH." I totally agree. This book is rich in culture, imagery, language, and heart. I would also describe it as warm - not that the story is always warm, but the way it is told brings warmth to the reader's soul. No wonder this book is considered a literary classic the academic community. I wish I had read this in High School where I could have participated in extensive class discussions about the characters and the depth of the plot. There is so much to say about this book that I don't even know where to begin.

"What is it about?" you may ask. It's about love, potential, horizons, a woman's place in society and marriage, starting over, and the journey of life. And so much more.

Read this book! If you've read it before, read it again. If you haven't experienced it yet, get your hands on a copy and read it for the first time. Rich, warm, and beautiful - you will enjoy every word.

No comments: