Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Smell of a Book

Yesterday I was reading a lovely book from the 70's called Mister God, This is Anna. All of a sudden my nose caught a whiff of the paper - a musty old book smell. This instantly brought to mind images of my college library. I loved going there and it smelled just like this book in among all those shelves. For me, that library represents all the books I've read and loved over the years because it was at college that I really came to respect and love the written word. I don't know if it's the paper they use now, or if it just takes time for the pages to absorb this scent, but books today don't smell like this.

I love this fragrance because I associate it with stacks and shelves of good books and the wonderful times I've spent reading them. To me, this is the smell of imagination, the smell of the mind forming and accepting something new. This is the aroma of another world where anything is possible.

The scent of a good book. This is what I smell in paradise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend who took this to the next level with his copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. He developed his very own Harry Potter smell (the book, not the boy)which consisted of various spices and coffee. He then doused his book in the spiceified coffee and let it dry over a fire. This gave the book both an amazing smell and texture. And taste, come to think of it.