Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's in a Title, Anyway?

After a couple rounds of edits on my work in progress I decided it was time to work on an acceptable title. 'NanoWrimo 10' was just not going to cut it if I'm going to really put this one out there.

The trouble is that there is so much pressure to have an amazing title. You want it to be clever, engaging, memorable, and preferably related to your actual book. And one that hasn't already been taken.

Fortunately, we have the internet. Not only can you search for already published books to make sure you're not duplicating a title, you can find great articles on titling. For example:

Rachelle Gardner wrote an excellent post about How to Title Your Book last month. She puts some emphasis on considering your genre, something I hadn't even realized might be important. I like her suggestion about giving yourself a lot of options, putting them away, then coming back 24 hours later to see them with fresh eyes.

Jacob Appel gives us 7 Tips to Land the Perfect Title for Your Novel over at Writer's Digest. I liked #5 about giving your title some depth, although I don't know how I'm going to do this with my own title. I thought #6 was important, too. You don't want to give away too much before the reader even cracks open the cover.

How do you title your work? Any additional suggestions that might help me and others? What are some titles you think are absolutely brilliant?

No comments: