Saturday, October 10, 2009

Writer's Soundtrack

I came home from work one night this week and spent 4 hours searching for and downloading music. This is the first time I have purchased music online and I can see how it could become addictive - it's so easy! You find a song you like, click a button, and suddenly it's yours. But I was very careful with which songs I bought because my gift card was only for $25 and when it was gone I knew I couldn't buy anymore. But I digress...

I specifically got songs that I knew would be great for November. Upbeat ones to get me motivated, slower ones for when I to think, sweetly inspiring ones for when I need to create, and rockin' ones to celebrate to. I need a variety of music when I write because I go through a variety of moods. I have discovered that I am one of those people who works better and faster when I have some sort of sound on in the background. It's almost like my mind needs something to keep it busy so it doesn't get bored and zone out somewhere along the way. So I find dynamic and interesting music to accompany my writing. Movie soundtracks are great - Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Star Wars, almost anything by John Williams for that matter. I also like a little jazz sometimes - Stan Getz and Miles Davis are good.

My favorite website for writing music is Pandora. You create stations based on songs or artists and their site finds similar music in their vast database. I have discovered so many great new artists this way and it's wonderful to just put on a station and let it go while I'm writing.

Do you writing to music? Does the tone of the music affect the mood of your writing?

No comments: