Friday, August 29, 2008

Stephenie Meyer: A Fast Favorite

Author of Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, and The Host Stephenie Meyer is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Every one I know has read the Twilight books and I'm recommending them to everyone else I don't know.

My little sister actually got me started on Twilight a couple years ago after she heard Meyer speak at an afternoon seminar at BYU where she is attending school. I read the first book in about 2 days and didn't get much sleep. What struck me most about this book is Meyer's writing style. Unlike some other fantasy and science fiction authors, she doesn't use really elaborate and overwhelming words. Her writing is simple but efficient. I loved how real the story seemed because of this writing style. Bella seemed like a girl I knew at school - she had characteristics I enjoyed and disliked just like normal people. Yet I was drawn to her and her story. Just brilliant and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Although her Twilight series ending with Breaking Dawn, which was released just a couple months ago, is geared to young adults they are still entertaining and engaging for adults.

The Host is Meyer's first adult targeted novel that came out earlier this year. Once again, this is a fantastic novel that I just could not put down. Not only did I devour it, but I keep thinking about it months later. I love the characters and the whole premise of the plot is just fantastic. This is definitely one I want on my shelf for future enjoyment.

The common thread through all of Meyer's book so far is the fundamental dynamic of good vs. evil. No story is complete without it and Meyer has done a wonderful job exploring this eternal battle in all of her novels. What makes something, or someone, good or evil? I love the way she illustrates this topic and I also love that she does it in a way that so many can be comfortable with. Her novels are clean - little violence, no sex, reserved language (I think there was one explitive in The Host), and strong in morality and the importance of values.

If you can't tell by now, I'm a big fan of Stephenie Meyer. I think part of it is that I feel we have a lot in common and it inspires hope that I might one day publish some of my work.

If you're not on the Meyer bandwagon yet, read these books, check out the website and the article below then hop on while the wagon is in town!

Stephenie Meyer Website
Article

No comments: