Saturday, February 9, 2008

David and Leigh Eddings: The Treasured One

This is going to be a first for my blog - I did not like this book. Most of the time I find things about a book that I can enjoy even it I don't like other things. I couldn't finish this one.

The Treasured One is the sequel to The Elder Gods that I read a little while ago. I thought it would be a good continuation since the first book left a big opening for a sequel but I only got about a hundred pages in before I decided to put it down.

The story wasn't so bad but it just didn't intrigue me. The characters were okay, but not very dynamic and I just couldn't get involved with them. I kept reading, more out of obligation than real pleasure and finally got the point where I figured it was silly to spend time reading something I didn't really want to when there are so many other books I could be reading and enjoying.

This book, for me, held no beauty, no artistry. It was flat, almost like an outline, with nothing to make it live in my mind. So I set it down, returned it to the library and moved on. I can count the number of times I've done this on one hand - I don't like not finishing a book. Have you ever set a book aside?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to totally agree with you on this post. I unfortunately read the entire series. Believe me when I say, it doesn't get any better. The ending was actually terrible as it could have been done at the beginning of book 1 and saved lots of lives.

Unfortunately for me also, is that I buy my books. So I wasted $100+ on this series. And then it sat on my bookshelves for a long time, because I didn't want to torture anyone else by giving them away :oD

As far as Eddings in general, I really like his\their writing. The Belgariad and Mallorean series were the first fantasy books I read way back in high school and they are still some of my favorites. Even if they are on a much lower level of writing than Jordan or Martin.

Anonymous said...

I was a huge fan of the Eddings but it seems senility and greed found him about 10 years ago. His recent work is a blatant middle finger to all his fans who have read the same story, same plot, same phrases and words in every one of his previous book series. Every one of his characters are at one point or another "Pensive". Also you have a lot of angry diatribes that come out of the mouths of all types of characters, even the tweens, that basically sounds like an old man venting. The wanna-be "humorous" conversations between his characters are the same cynical garbage going back and forth that I've heard before dozens of times. News for you Eddings. You have gone crazy and need to realize how bad your writing has gotten in the last 10 years, or have someone close to you tell you. I've not been able to finish any of his new books, just skim through them and return them to the library. I am such a fan of his early work, I always try to find out whether the new stuff is worth reading. ITS NOT. How dare you waste my time Eddings, how dare you make a dollar on this trash. How do you look in a mirror?