Monday, November 12, 2007

Intense Writing Weekend

I had a crazy writing weekend but I'm so excited! I got so many words in and now I'm only about 600 words away from being right on schedule (20,004 words for day 12). It just makes me happy to be working toward something so challenging.

But I've lost the flow and the story isn't coming so fast anymore. I knew this would happen because I didn't really plan much for the middle of the book, only the start and end. So I'm slogging through and getting my words down. I'm getting a little frustrated, though, because there are a lot of inconsistencies and I can't decide what I want to do on a couple of plot elements. I comfort myself by thinking 'I can go back and fix it all later,' but my inner editor keeps saying that it might not be worth it by the end of November.

Well, I'll keep going and maybe something will come along to totally redeem the plot. I hope so because right now it seems so slow to me...

How are ya'll doing? Are you flying through or slogging along?

4 comments:

Sya said...

Looks like you're making good progress! Anyway, don't pay attention to your inner editor--ignoring it is what Nano's all about. Think of it this way--maybe you don't know exactly where you're going in the middle of your novel, but you might end up on a very interesting path.

angus said...

This is so happening to me. The first few chapters flew, cause I knew exactly how to set things up, but now there are so many options. So I pick a scene that I can see happening next, write it, and worry less about the one after that.. until I get there. Then I make notes of what has to be fixed to fit with the stuff I just wrote.

So you're doing good! And you're not alone for sure. The walls of frustration are being thrown up around me all the time but I really love when they get knocked the hell back down.

RZStoryLove said...

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there.

Anonymous said...

(Oh, and I share your thing for mugs)