Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Orson Scott Card: Prentice Alvin

I finished the third book in Card's Alvin Maker series a few days ago and it left me anxious for the next book. The first two volumes were interesting but they didn't really motivate me to read the next one. By now, I am invested in the characters and excited to keep reading and find out what is in store for them.

Prentice Alvin is longer than the first two books and a little more complicated. I think this parallels well with Alvin's age and experiences - as he grows older, the books become more complicated. In this book, Alvin finally admits who he is and recognizes his powers. He has had small glimpses of what he can do, but in this book he finally commits to reaching those goals of peace and harmony in his crystal city. And there is a little element of love, too. Throw in some self-righteous villains, a couple of intense pursuit scenes, and some tragedy and you've got a great read.

The fourth book is waiting for me at the library and I think it will be just as good.

No comments: