Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Get in the Mood

I love when the planets align and everything comes together to allow me to be in the creative mood and have time to write at the same moment. But, let's be honest, this is a rare moment. I can make time to write, but being in a creative mood sometimes evades me.

So I have to get myself in the mood. Lots of writers do different things - I know some who like to jog and others who have an elaborate ritual the follow. For me, I shut the blinds, light a candle, make some tea or hot chocolate, grab a couple biscotti, then snuggle down in the corner of my writing couch. The smell of the burning candle and the taste of my biscotti bring out my creative juices. I also wear a lovely scarf that Juberry brought me from London - it makes me feel like a writer.

I haven't gotten to the point where I can summon the mood at will, so these little things help me focus. They also tell my mind that it's time to write, that it's safe for my sensitive creativity to come out and play for a while.

Here's a writing prompt to help you get in the mood:

What evokes a creative mood in you? Write about the sounds, smells, events that make you feel like writing.


Happy writing!

No comments: