Thursday, August 16, 2007

Editiing Update

As I sat pondering what to write about today several possibilities crossed my mind: the movie I saw last weekend, the book I finished last week, the bread I made last night. But I really want to talk about the project I'm working on right now.

A couple of months ago I finished the first draft of a short story. I had a couple people do a read-through and give me some feedback. I got some good criticism, which was nice, and a lot of ideas on how to improve the story and characters. Now I'm in the editing stages and I have a lot to do. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed because there was so much to change.

Yesterday I spend almost two hours working on it, which is a long time for me, and I was so excited at the end o my session. I was able to make some big changes, slash some trash, and deepen some characters. And I had so much fun. I'm really please with how it's coming together.

This sense of accomplishment and satisfaction is why I write, why I edit and polish. It is so worth all the agony I felt over finding just the right word when all those words start coming together. I have a couple more rounds to go and then I'll post it here in chapter increments.

Have you ever had this experience while editing?

No comments: