Monday, June 11, 2007

C.S. Lewis: Till We Have Faces

I just finished this book last week and I really enjoyed this read. I love C.S. Lewis to begin with and when I heard about this book I immediately requested it at my library. Not many are familiar with this piece of fiction and after doing some research I found that Lewis wrote a lot of things that I haven't heard about. I think people focus so much on the prominent ones - Chronicles of Narnia, The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity - that most people don't make the effort to find and read the lesser known works.

Till We Have Faces is a magical retelling of the Psyche and Cupid myth. Lewis, true to form, does a fantastic job of raising deep and meaningful questions about faith and belief in the midst of a beautiful work of fiction. I loved the way Lewis explored the narrator's emotions and presented this story from another point of view. I also really enjoyed his little twist at the end - don't worry, I won't ruin it for you.

Conclusion: Beautiful and magical - this one will be added to my personal library.

No comments: