Friday, December 18, 2009

The Real Work Begins

Just a quick updated on my own writing. I finally finished my story that I started for NanoWrimo! It is such a great feeling and I was so excited.

According to the editing guidelines I posted last week I took a short break to have lunch after I finished then I started my first round of editing. This entails typing up my second draft because I always write my first draft with pen and paper. There is something magical about forming letters, words, and phrases with a writing utensil on the page. I write much better first drafts this way rather than typing.

I am madly trying to get all the 55,020 words into a word document so I can keep the momentum going with this project. Yesterday I realized that this is where the real work begins. Revising, reworking, rewriting, and manipulating what I originally had into something that could really be called a novel. It is going to be hard work and I can see that there is the potential for a lot of frustration and discouragement.

Yet, I'm still excited about it! And that, to me, is what makes writing fun. It's hard work, but I know it will be rewarding in the end and I will have a great time along the way.

No comments: