Sunday, November 8, 2009

NanoWrimo Status Report

Week 1 is over and it has been a roller coaster ride.

Day 1 was great - I woke up early and immediately started thinking about my opening scene and how to introduce my characters. I couldn't go back to sleep so I grabbed a pen and my notebook and just got started. I got down a couple of scenes before I felt I needed a break and reached the 1,667 word goal before I knew it. I felt awesome and so excited.

By day 3 I was still on track but my writing session that evening was hard work. The words weren't flowing and it was difficult to reach the word count goal. The next day was a little better since I had an action scene coming up that I was excited to get to.

I spent a half an hour on day 5 jotting down some thoughts about where I wanted to go next. This isn't something I normally do - usually I don't stop to outline or think ahead, I just keep writing. But it turned out taking this pause was very helpful. It gave me a little direction and boosted my motivation. I got home that night and busted out the action scene.

Friday I lost my momentum. After a long week and figured I deserved some veg time. Problem is, once you stop it's so hard to get going again! I didn't write Saturday and I haven't gotten a word down today (Sunday) yet either. The day is not over yet, however. There is still time to get back on track. Plus, I have Wednesday off from work for Veteran's Day and I'll have the house all to myself - it will be a major catch up day.

Lessons Learned
- Sometimes it helps to pause and think about where you're going next. Don't be afraid to take a break to outline for a bit.
- Keep up the momentum once you get going.
- Don't get down on yourself if you fall behind. If you start feeling like it's hopeless you'll never get back on track. Stay hopeful, stay focused.

Goals for Week 2

- Write everyday.
- Stay on track with the 1,667 words a day schedule.
- Don't be afraid to talk about what you're doing with friends and coworkers.

How are you doing? What have you learning in the first week that will help you the rest of the month?

No comments: