Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stargate Addiction

I am addicted to Stargate. I had heard of the movie that originally came out in 1994 and I think I saw it on TV once or twice. So when I saw Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis listed on Hulu I thought I would see what it is all about.

The first season of Stargate SG-1 aired in 1997 but I was immediately impressed with the feel of the show because it didn't strike me as very dated. The TV series follows 4 main characters who comprise the team SG-1 on their exploration missions to other worlds through a wormhole device named the Stargate. Click here for a more comprehensive explanation.

There are several things I like about this show. First, the stories are great. Granted, they have a lot of possibilities with the setup - they can create any sort of world they want to and that opens up all sorts of opportunities for conflict and plot. But the writers have come up with some really creative stuff. There is some structure which provides continuity, however. They have a core group of characters that we see in each episode (SG-1 team). They also established a antagonist in the form of an alien race whose main goal is to see the end of the human race. So these things form a baseline for most of the episodes.

Second, the characters are so much fun! You might think that with so many seasons of SG-1 the characters would grow static and boring, but I haven't gotten bored yet. You really get attached to the members of the team which makes the stories even better.

I haven't started watching Stargate Atlantis yet, so I can't give an informed opinion about that offshoot series. But I have become a quick fan of the new Stargate Universe series that just barely started. I highly recommend you check out the pilot. They did a good job of giving the basics so you don't have to watch all the previous Stargate shows to know what's going on. But you should anyway...

Wanna know more? Here's the official site. Totally disagree with me? Leave a comment and tell me why. Agree with me? Leave me a comment and tell me why. Have a TV show recommendation? Bring it.

1 comment:

The Bald Monkey said...

The new Battlestar Galactica. Great show. The wife even liked it, because its not a pure sci-fi show. It's actually a character driven story that happens to be set in a sci-fi environment. It was excellent and they probably could have squeezed another season in before ending it.