Wednesday, August 1, 2007

George R.R. Martin: A Storm of Swords

I just finished this book a couple days ago. This is the third in Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire and it lives up quite well to the preceding books.

It took me a long time to get through this one because I had to return it to the library half way through. That may be part of the reason my enthusiasm for this series faded during the last month.

I was ore frustrated than impressed with the third installment. I was still drawn into the plot and characters, but I was very put off when Martin killed off a couple of his main characters. I felt angry, betrayed and disrespected as a reader when these characters died. It's likely that this is how Martin wanted his reader to feel, but it was too much for me. I almost stopped reading then, but like most avid readers, I felt an obligation to finish the book. But I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'm still attached to the characters and I'm interested to know what happens to them, but I think I'll drop the series at this point. There are too many books out there for me to spend tie reading ones I don't really enjoy.

No comments: