Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

This was the last book I read in the year 2007 and I can say it was a good pick to end the year on. I have never read this before - I somehow missed it during all my years of High School and college. But since it's considered one of the classic science fiction books around, I thought I better have it under my belt.

This book is fantastic. I loved it and I really want to add it to my personal library some day soon. It's a short read, which was good for me because I was reading it during one of the busiest times of the year. But I can now see why so many people say it is a must for anyone even remotely interested in reading, and especially those into science fiction. If you haven't yet, if you're like me and somehow missed getting this during your educational years, please go get it at the library, bookstore, or your friend up the street. It won't take long to read and it is worth every minute.

Bradbury drew me right in with his simple descriptions and ordinary tone for a futuristic world, one where owning a book is illegal. The characters are so interesting because they are so conflicted and confused about right, wrong, good, and bad. The life Bradbury created in this book is scary, but he makes it seem so possible. And the ending totally shocked me, which I loved. I find it amazing that there was so much packed into just a little book.

Read it, today. That's all I can say.

And your thoughts? What did you think?

No comments: