1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Makes 3 1/2 dozen biscotti
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour large baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and zest. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Divide dough into two pieces. Form into long flat loaves about 1/2 inch tall and 12 inches long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
4. Cut diagonally with serrated knife into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lay slices flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turning over once. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
5. (Optional) Melt chocolate chips in microwave stirring until smooth. Spread onto one side of the biscotti. Let stand at room temperature until set.