Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Battle to Write

For some reason I've had a hard time getting myself to write anything the last few days. I'm in the editing stages of a project and I usually like this part, but I just haven't been in the mood this week. Maybe it was the holiday weekend - I took a day off and now I can't get my mind to focus on the things I need to do.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but a lot of the time I have to make myself write. Once I start I remember how much I love it, but there's something I have to get past first. I'm not talking about starting a new project, I'm talking about getting myself to get into the mood and work on writing every day. The thing I can't understand is that I'm am doing this for me, because I WANT to write, so why do I have such a hard time actually writing?

I've heard that fear gets in the way for most writers and maybe that's what I'm facing in this daily battle. Hopefully, now that I've realized it, I can push forward and make some progress. Writing for this blog is a great way for me to get going, but I thought I would provide another writing prompt. Get a pen and paper, or whatever you use, and just write for 5-10 minutes.

You are given a magic object. What is it? What power does it give you? What happens when you use it?

So, how did it go? Now, maybe your ramblings aren't anything spectacular, but at least you wrote something! You made a start and got past a huge barrier. Before the walls come up again, spend some time looking at what you've written - is there something that surprises you? Do you see the beginnings of a great idea? Is there a word you used that you didn't think you knew or a phrase that sticks out as being really great? If you have time, write more, or jot down somethings you could elaborate on. This way, they'll be waiting for you the next time you break through.

No comments: